Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Spicy Potato and Nut Terrine Anyone?

I wish I liked to cook. Sometimes it's okay I guess. If I'm waiting for Jason to get home I will turn up iTunes while I'm in the kitchen. Music makes just about anything better and cooking is no excepetion. I wish cooking made my singing better, but I digress... I decided I needed some new healthy recipes so I went to the library and checked out some cookbooks. Two of the three books actually had quite a few recipes that I want to try out. I picked up "Your Family Will Love It! Quick and Healthy Weeday Meals for the Hard-to-Please". (If you cannot guess, I'm the "hard-to-please" one. I realized there is a long list of veggies that I never grew up to like. Maybe there is still time for that.) The others were "Great Taste - Low Fat Chicken" and "Practical Cookery - Vegetarian". Okay "practical" is very misleading. I was looking through this book and there are words I've never heard before and half of those I cannot even pronounce. Proof?
Tzatziki
Bhajis
Besan
Channa Dal (China Doll?)
Pakoras
Porcini
Garam Marsala
Galangal
Vichyssoise
Jalousie
I realize I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to my experience with cuisines, but come on. Don't tell me the average person is going to say "We are having Onions a la Grecque for an apetizer, Gado Gado salad and Aloo Chat for an entree." No.

I made Hearty Chicken and Corn Chowder last night. Now that sound more like it.

No comments: