Friday, February 27, 2009

Earth to Kayla

You know how the earth's surface is covered 70% by water and a measly 30% land? Well, my world has a similar ratio. I would say 70% of my life has been taken over (flooded, if you will) by ttc and has only left 30% behind for everything else. The goal of pregnancy is the motivation for so many things I do these days. Do I order fries? No, I need to eat healthy so I can get pregnant. Have I taken my prenatals? Yes, took those today. Hmm, how much green tea can I drink without affecting my folic acid absorbtion? What time should I go to the store so I can get back and test with my OPK? Should I just put a test strip into my purse so I can test while I'm out? OH NO! Will I be ovulating while we are out of town???

Whether I like it or not, ttc has taken over my life. But that is okay because it is worthy of the effort. The reward will be awesome. Each day is another step toward the day that we have children. The tricky part is keeping ttc seperate from your happiness. There are days when my emotional state is purely dependant upon some aspect of ttc. A postive OPK always puts me in a good mood. A negative pregnancy test never put a smile on my face.

While I'm on the topic of testing, I think I need to get a patent on a new kind of digital pregnancy test. You see, the digital tests are the best thing ever when you are pregnant (and want to be). Seeing a second line is exciting, but seeing the word "pregnant"... few things can compare to the happiness I felt when I saw that word. It was so definite, so absolute. So what does it say when the test is negative? "Not pregnant" Well, thanks a lot! Stupid, rude, insensitive little peice of plastic. I propose a new digital test for women who want to be pregnant. It could say - "better luck next month sweetie".... or ... "keep trying, you'll get there!"... or... "go get yourself a glass of wine, you deserve it!". Yep, we need a new kind of test.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

While TTC is frustrating I'm sure, its kind of great that you have something to keep you away from yummy cheese fries. I myself easily cave into naughty food items. Cookies seem to be my weakness...I ate nearly half a package of oreos the other day. Then the next day my order of girl scout cookies came in at work and I ate 6 very large lemon cookies. My BFF Jen, voiced her concern. She is reading that book "Skinny Bitches" and now comments on everything that I eat. TTC is kind of like a really long lent season I guess.

I like your P-test idea. You should present it to someone. Until you get the patent...maybe have Jason check it for you and he can put a nice little sticky note on top of the digital whether its positive or negative...would be nice to hear it from your hubby first. Just an idea! :)