Friday, March 6, 2009

They Say it's Your Birthday

So, today is my birthday. It may sound a bit dramatic, but I've been a little bummed about turning another year older. I thought we would have our first child when I was 26. Now here I am turning 28 without children and without a pregnancy. I remember in October I was imagining all of the things I would be doing pregnant. My birthday was one of them. I feel like I'm following this imaginary time line. The time line of my would-be pregnancy. I wonder if I will feel any different after June 7th, our due date. I also wonder what my 29th birthday will look like next year. I'm optimistic.

But it hasn't been a complete bust. We had our family birthday party last weekend. Jason and I also went to Macaroni Grill on Sunday and I had some delicious grilled salmon, risotto and tiramisu. Tonight Jason and I decided to finally try some sushi. We have been talking about trying it out to see what the fuss is about. Tonight seemed as good a night as any. So about that...

I hate sushi! I didn't know it until tonight, but I think sushi must be the most over hyped food ever. The thing about it is that you cannot really take small bites. It is all or nothing. So I went all in. I put the Philadelphi Roll in my mouth and immediately regretted it. Ew. Next I tried the California Roll and it was only tolerable but verging on gross. I managed to eat a few of the slices and then started listing all of the fast food places on the way home. Jason and I couldn't stop laughing about it. Our waiter cleared our plates and asked how we liked it. Somehow we managed to get around answering that question. Oh, and my Sonic corndog and chocolate malt were delicious.

I'm a simple gal.

3 comments:

runningmom said...

Ahh...Happy Birthday (a day late)!

Reading your posts makes me re-live my first few years of married life...hoping and dreaming of the kids to come.

I was married at 21 -- the first few months and years were agonizing hoping and hoping for a baby....it's hard not to focus on it. My first 2 each took 3-4 years to get here but then #3 just showed up out of no where. So, it WILL happen...promise!!

BTW, I'm not a big fan of sushi--I could take it or leave it....I definitely don't get why my DH has to always order it! But WAY TO GO for trying it!!!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Happy Birthday! Sorry I spared you the song on your b-day! We are 28! That is a bummer. But more so for you. All the important days of the year are painful reminders. But hopefully St. Patrick's day will be different. The luck of the irish right? I will use all of my 28 candles for you!

I didn't expect you to like sushi. I am suprised you tried it! I LOVE IT, so I have to disagree that its overhyped. I really love fish though and Im talking fish. Some people eat fish and they try to season it like chicken or fried whatever, but I like the fish taste...so oceany. Justin and I actually ate it on Thursday. But I was thinking maybe its because you and Jason are Pisces. Fish don't eat their own kind? Im a dorkis.

Katelyn said...

Happy late Birthday!!
I absolutely hate seafood, but have been able to find some sushi rolls that I love. I get anything that has crab and avocado in it, because it doesn't taste too fishy. Anything that smells or tastes like fish makes me want to puke. Its all trial and error, I think.

Anywho, hope all is going well! =)