Thursday, January 8, 2009

Three Preggos and a Pap

First, I get to complain. It really does make me feel better so consider the next two paragraphs necessary therapy for me.

Yesterday I had to run to Target to get one little thing and I get in the first line at my end of the store. Then I notice that not one, but two women in front of me are very pregnant. The first one is going on and on to the second one about how they don't have anything for the baby and she is putting all these baby blankets, onesies and other baby paraphernalia on the conveyor. I think I actually scowled. Not when either one was looking of course, but I did. I went to another line and I left before the first lady even finished paying. So there! I got home and turned on the TV. Ah, Scrubs rerun! Just what I need. Oh wait a minute. I just happened to turn it on right when Carla is announcing she is pregnant. Seriously? The cosmos are having a fun day today, I get it. I can have a sense of humor. I'm laughing.

So today I go for my yearly exam. I was concerned about returning to the place where I had been given my very sad news, but I was actually ok. I knew I would see plenty of pregnant women today and guess what?! I didn't scowl once! I must be maturing or something. Well, I was in the waiting room and a visibly pregnant woman is sitting there and one other girl. I have my face buried in a book so I don't have to think about the stirrups that are in my near future and the pregnant girls says something that I pretend to ignore at first. Then I look up at her. "How far along are you?" I sat there for what felt like about five seconds, probably not near that long, and said "I'm not pregnant." There it is, like it was any of her business. She says innocently "Oh, I'm sorry!" and turns to the other girl, "How about you?" The other girl is twelve weeks. I was fine until that girl had to go and ruin it. I felt my eyes burn, but I was determined not to embarrass myself. The nurse called me back a few minutes later. I held it in through being weighed... and the nurse asks me when my last period was. I couldn't answer because I was already crying. She was obviously concerned that she had a crazy woman who spontaneously burst into tears over a benign question like when I had my period. But it had nothing to do with her and everything to do with that girl in the waiting room. I recovered enough to explain so she would not feel the need to call a psychiatrist. She apologized, I stopped crying, and the rest of my appointment went great actually.

I love my doctor. He informed me today that I can actually get pregnant when I ovulate on the left side even though I have no tube. It may not be as likely, but it can happen and I'm all about good news. He physically demonstrated it for me by using his arms (representative of the fallopian tubes) and showed me how our tubes sort of hang back behind our uterus (represented by his body). I was really trying to understand. He got on to the exam, and let me say, if you can have a "good" pap, that was the first "good" one I've ever had. I'm not the bravest of patients when it comes to these things, but he made it look like I was (have I said I love this man?). He finished up, then I apologized for being dense and asked him how it worked again. I thought each tube was connected to an ovary. How can the right tube get an egg from the left ovary? He was so sweet, he told me I was not dense and he realized why I was not understanding and he got a diagram for me to see. This time it made sense to me.

I left the office with a smile. Or atleast I felt like I was smiling and that was great.

2 comments:

Staged by Dreamweavers said...

Wow that is great to know you can get pregnant from the side that has no tube.
Mom

Staged by Dreamweavers said...

Well you know what they say about red cars. The minute you start thinking about getting one, suddenly you start seeing them everywhere. I guess that is how it works with pregnant women also. I am sorry it is so tough for you. One day you will be one of those pregnant women and you will be so sensitive about other young women around you. You will able to understand what others cannot. Love you, Mom