Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Blooming Omen

I am officially in the two week wait!

It all started yesterday with a good omen (or at least what I took as a good omen). I looked out in my backyard and saw the first set of blooms on our crepe myrtle. This is tree we planted on our angel's due date and I've been waiting all this time to see some blooms. I went in for my ultrasound and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had two follicles on the right and one on the left. I got my trigger shot and was told to return today for my IUI. This morning I checked on our tree again and saw a few more blooms. Excellent!

Some personal details aside, I think it all went very well! The most difficult part of the procedure was the tenaculum my doctor had to use. My cervix is always a bit shy and the tenaculum is used to pull on the cervix and make it easier to insert the catheter. Do me a favor and do NOT google tenaculum. Trust me, the pictures are scary and it is even scarier in person. The procedure itself only took about 5 minutes and then I got to lay there and relax for about 20 minutes. I brought along my iPod and Joshua Radin sang to me while I relaxed. When I was laying there I was thinking about how surreal the whole procedure is. I started contemplating on how different this is than how I imagined baby making to be. I never thought it would include words like...

Speculum
Tenaculum
Sterile Cup
Catheter
Stirrups
Insemination
Specimen
Centrifuge

But, the only important part is that at some point we are rewarded for all this work. Then the real work will begin. Something I have learned from this is that Jason and I can laugh at ourselves. Our texting back and forth while I was at the doctor's office is proof of that. I would include some of it here but fear I would be embarrassed later on.

TTC Status: CD14 and already in the 2ww!
Mental Status: Feeling positive and relieved
Energy Status: Still exhausted after our reunion weekend

"There is no such cozy combination as man and wife."
~Menander

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Whenever someone tells you not to google something, you immediately have to google it. Wasn't as scary as I was imagining, but still I wouldn't want one near me.

I am happy the tree is blooming. You will have to post another photo with the blooms.

Yay! Make that baby!