Saturday, May 30, 2009

Home Again

I spent the past five days in a place where health is remembered to be a blessing and having hair is just a bonus. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I enjoyed it... not by any means. But, there is a sort of kinship that you feel to everyone in the hospital. It was comforting in a way. Comforting to know that we are not the only ones dealing with a scary thing. All the people in that place have something in common. Cancer. Whether you are a doctor who treats it, a patient who has it, or a family member or friend who loves someone who does. It's not uncommon to see masks, IV stands or bald heads. I saw people who were obviously fragile from chemo and I am thankful that my mom does not resemble them. I felt sorry for them while realizing that pity isn't really a desired sentiment. You see that, if anything, cancer is not biased toward any group (something I've always known, but saw firsthand for the first time). It really is a time when laughter and a sense of humor are needed. In keeping with that spirit we have given my mom's new breast the beloved nickname of newbie bewbie (spelling error acknowledged).

Just to give a sense of the timeline-

On Wednesday my mom spent 7 1/2 hours in surgery. The first day of recovery went well, the second day was harder, the third day broke me. That was just a rough day for her. It's so hard to see someone you love feeling vulnerable, pain and just plain miserable. I was there for her, but even in my best efforts I still felt completley powerless and futile. Day four was a bit better. I'm home now and just got a call to find out that she is going home today (day five of recovery). I reminded her that she is strong in mind and spirit and that her body will catch up.

Photobucket

TTC Status: CD 13, been pretty relaxed this cycle, no temping, no opk's yet
MIL's Status: GONE!!! *happy dance* after two and a half weeks, it was time
Body's Status: pudgey (even after 3 days of boca burgers at the hospital), excersize needed
Dog's Status: sleepy after 5 days with her cousins (proof in picture below)
Husband's Status: glad to see him and pretty sure the feeling is mutual :)

Photobucket

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
~F. Clark

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You write so beautifully. I am sure it was difficult being in the hospital. I would probably have an anxiety attack. But I'm glad you were able to be with your mom. Hope she is making it back ok and is feeling better. I bet you are excited to see Jason and Daisy.

Kayla said...

Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure English teachers cringe at my writing, but I try not to worry about that.

The hospital was actually a pretty warm place (for a hospital). I particularly liked this huge atrium area by one of the entrances. Lots of sunlight and areas to sit. They even had volunteers playing a piano at certain times.