Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping

I have wanted to shop in a maternity store for years. Of course it had nothing to do with the actual clothes and everything to do with my desire to be expecting. Well, I finally stepped foot into Motherhood store last Friday and I had a pretty great time. Some of the clothes are less than thrilling but I managed to find some things that I liked and felt like me. I now own pants that come within inches of my bra and, surprisingly enough, I am thrilled about it. I thought I would share my purchases with you since pictures are always fun.

In other shopping news, I have a diaper bag on the way. It turns out that Etsy.com is a pretty fun place to do baby shopping. I now want to buy things for our baby that I didn't even know were out there (including: a chenille sock monkey, reusable waterproof bags in cute fabrics, a fleece snuggle bunny and flannel washrags). I've already spent an embarrassing amount of time perusing through pages and pages of all things baby.

One more thing. I had a moment of minor panic last night while looking at Baby's R Us online. I realized that we have to pick out a car seat. How does one go about choosing a car seat? How do I know it's safe? Typically I'm a frugal shopper but the safety of our child hardly seems like the place to skimp. And then I move on to pack and plays. Now they come with "nappers". Is that really safe? Then I realized I'm not all together sure where our newborn will sleep. I know I won't be comfortable with our baby being on the other end of the house in those first few months so what is the best option? I need some mamas to give me advice. I know how to watch other people's kids but this is a whole new ballgame.

Ok, now we can get on with the pictures.

Photobucket
New belly pic, new top and new jeans

Photobucket
Jason has now been instructed not to take pictures of me from below. I don't have a double chin but some sort of weird double cheek thing going on. Does anyone look good from this angle? Don't answer that.

Photobucket
Other new jeans and new corduroys

Photobucket
New Sweater from Target and other top from Motherhood

"Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch."
~E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome shopping trip! I think that I might never wear pants that zip or button again, I am totally digging the elastic waste thing! HA!

You look great...no double chin silly!!!

Elizabeth said...

Wow girl! You have grown since last week even! You look awesome! I like your new clothes. I'm calling you...NOW!

Mrs Sea Monster said...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CPS/CPSfitting/index.cfm
http://www.safekidsweb.org/events/events.asp
These first two links are to look up places for child seat safety inspections.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/nhtsa_eou/info.jsp?type=infant
http://www.car-safety.org/guide.html

http://www.car-seat.org/
(forum all about car seats)

And before you think I'm completely crazy, I got these from threads on a military wives forum I frequent. These people are paranoid about their car seats and keeping kids rear facing as long as possible. :)
HTHs some.

I'm sooooooo glad that everything is going well! You look great too!

The DeLoe Family said...

It's funny how I just coincidentally came across your blog and don't even know you, but am soooooooo incredibly happy for you! You look beautiful and don't even worry about that picture from down "below". You are GLOWING! :)

As for the first few months (actually four months), I left my daughter in a bassinet beside my bed. It made middle of the night feedings so much easier, especially since I was breastfeeding.

Mrs. Sea Monster has some great links as far as car seats go. We did a ton of research as well and you can also use Consumer Reports to get an idea of safety/ease of use/weight, etc. And, I am one of those crazy people that insist on keeping the kiddo rear facing as long as possible. We bought an infant carrier for the 1st yr and then when she outgrew that, a convertible car seat that she can sit in for quite a while (until she is 35 pounds!).

The DeLoe Family said...

Actually, that's 35 pounds REAR facing. She can actually stay in the seat until she is 70 pounds. :)

Kayla said...

Thank you for all of the kind and helpful comments! I appreciate them so much! I guess I have some reading to do. :)

Karen said...

looking great girl! I have the same conversation with Eric about photo angles every time as well! lol

*Marie* said...

lol I totally understand the confusion about the shopping. I was in the store with DH the other day, and simply stood there completely confused staring at strollers and car seats. I don't have a clue what to even look for!

(Thanks Mrs Sea Monster for the links.)

I look forward to getting to know you better. HH9M! Enjoy your journey.