Friday, January 29, 2010

Sticks (aka needles) and Stones and Show and Tell

You would think that I'm just creating drama to give myself something to write about here. I'm not, promise. I also don't want it to sound like I'm complaining, because really, I'm not. But what would a blog be if I left out the fact that I spent most of Tuesday at the hospital? I'll try to keep it short because I wanted to have a picture day. A happy post! So here it goes.

Tuesday I woke up with a pain in my back on the right side. At first I thought it was a muscle just irritated from the way I was laying so I turned over... turned over again... laid on my back (shh, don't tell). Then the nausea started. You know the feeling when you go from thinking you might get sick to knowing you're going to be sick? So I revisited the old position of head over toilet. Can I say that dry heaving might be worse than actually throwing up? Just putting that out there. Also, a confession of the wonders of pregnancy is that throwing up in the latter part of your second trimester may cause you to pee at the same time. I'm not saying that happened, but how else would I know? I decided to take a quick shower because I was convinced I would be heading to the doctor as soon as they opened. Toward the end of my quick shower I got hot and things started to turn black. I avoided passing out by cranking on the cold water to rinse my hair for 3 seconds and sitting down to dry off. Called the doctor, called Jason to come home and called my mom. Of course I called my mom. Anyway, without revealing all the icky details (yep, there is more but I will spare you), it appeared to be a kidney stone and my doctor sent me to the hospital for IV fluids and a renal ultrasound. When all was said and done it wasn't a definitive diagnosis because by the time the ultrasound was performed I was actually feeling a lot better. It appeared as though there had been an obstruction that very well could have been a kidney stone that had made it's way out of my kidney by that time.

On a positive note, being at the hospital actually isn't all that bad. The nurses were wonderful. They brought me an extra blanket that felt like it had just come out of the dryer. I had flashbacks of being a kid and crawling into a pile of warm towels (do mom's hate that?). That must be one of the coziest feelings. I also got a turkey sandwich on a croissant, apple sauce and apple juice. I'm not sure if it was because I hadn't eaten in about 16 hours or if was really just that good. I was sent home around dinner time and have been feeling fine ever since.

So that wasn't short, but if you know me then you are not surprised. I'm incapable of summarizing. Picture time!

Photobucket
Guppy's new Graco stroller and carseat! No coincidence that it's the colors of our Red Raiders. :)

Photobucket
I got the bedding in and mom is working with it. More pictures later. I never thought of birds as a theme but I am in love with this bedding. I can't wait to see it all put together.

Photobucket
The crib I will be ordering very soon.

Photobucket
The cutest booties ever! Thank you so much to Aunt Elizabeth for sending these. I will definitely abide by the safety instructions, I promise. I really think it would be fun to have her picture taken while wearing these. So adorable and did you notice the birds? :)

Photobucket
I'm not sure if I look a lot bigger but I feel bigger. Last night was the first time I asked Jason for a back rub. I sort of got one but the poor guy had worked a 12 hour day and it was his bedtime. Note to self, ask earlier next time and bribe with chocolate.

"Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit."
~Bill Cosby

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woman!! No more hospital trips now I mean it!! I am glad that are you ok but if there is a stone there is it possible it can come back?

I love the pictures!!

The DeLoe Family said...

Oh my goodness! I am so glad to hear that you are okay. Take it easy girl!

Leigh Anne said...

glad to hear that you're feeling better, girl! i'm also glad you knew how to keep yourself from passing out!!!

i LOVE LOVE LOVE that bedding! If I ever have another kid and it's a girl...I totally want something like that! It's beautiful!

Cute bump too!

Elizabeth said...

Glad that you're feeling better. I really was in disbelief when you wrote that on facebook.

Nice photos! I hadn't seen the travel system. Haha...very raider-esque.

I'm glad you like the booties. So I can be an aunt? Yay!

You do look bigger, but your tum still looks great!

I can't wait for your baby shower.

Kelly said...

Kayla, you don't know me, but I wanted to let you know I came across your blog on the pregnancy site & have been reading & relating to you for a few months now. My name is Kelly, and I am 32 and TTC with my husband (also Kelly.) We have been trying for a year & a half, with no success. I can share more... but I won't write too much here. Congratulations on guppy!! :) What a blessing!

Karen said...

ugghh.. more hospital trips? glad you're on the mend though. I totally laughed at your vomiting/peeing comment.. I had stomach flu two weeks ago and can totally relate! oh the wonders of pregnancy! lol
LOVE the travel system... we've got the same colours for ours! and the bedding is absolutely gorgeous!