Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The April Fool

I had decided that I would write today because it is an anniversary of sorts. Two years trying to conceive. Not really the sort of anniversary you want to celebrate, but exists just the same. I do however feel like it gives me some sort of clout. If someone is going through some challenges, I feel like I can at least speak from some personal experience. This has definitely been the biggest struggle of my life so far. That may be a blessing to be able to say that. That thought has not escaped me, I promise. It doesn't necessarily make days like today any better. You know the saying "it's just one of those days"? Well today is one of those days. It reminds me of a poem that I read a hundred times as a kid (as well as heard my sisters rehearse since they had it memorized).

I Found a Four-Leaf Clover

by Jack Prelutsky

I found a four-leaf clover
and was happy with my find,
but with time to think it over,
I’ve entirely changed my mind.
I concealed it in my pocket,
safe inside a paper pad,
soon, much swifter than a rocket,
my good fortune turned to bad.

I smashed my fingers in a door,
I dropped a dozen eggs,
I slipped and tumbled to the floor,
a dog nipped both my legs,
my ring slid down the bathtub drain,
my pen leaked on my shirt,
I barked my shin, I missed my train,
I sat on my dessert.

I broke my brand-new glasses,
and I couldn’t find my keys,
I stepped in spilled molasses,
and was stung by angry bees.
When the kitten ripped the curtain,
and the toast burst into flame,
I was absolutely certain
that the clover was to blame.

I buried it discreetly
in the middle of a field,
now my luck has changed completely,
and my wounds have almost healed.
If I ever find another,
I will simply let it be,
or I’ll give it to my brother—
he deserves it more than me.



That has been my day minus the four leaf clover. Let me just say that between the kids behavior at work, another negative opk, a jury summons in the mail and a near attack by a wasp, I have not lost the humor of it being April fools day. Well, maybe I've lost the humor for the moment but it might be funny tomorrow.

My boss showed me a picture of her new grandbaby and it was all I could do to not burst into tears because the baby was so beautiful. So cheers! Here is to tomorrow being a better day.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Ok so I asked this an email, in order not to sound, as you put it, like a 5 year old. What is an OPK and why is it negative? I was going to wait for your kayla answer, but it never came so I took it upon myself to research. An OPK,
Ovulation Predictor Kit. I guess if its negative then it means you aren't ovulating? I am really interested in all this TTC stuff, but there seem to be a lot of acronyms, and numbers, and it gets really confusing. Sorry it was negative...negatives are no fun. Crossing my fingers for positives in your TTC mission. And well for life in general. And like I said before...you are no fool Kayla Dee. I don't know how illegal this is..but the secret word to post this post is LOL migmetr. Don't know why that gave me a giggle.