Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring Time is Clean Time

Twice a year I dig into the depths of my closet to make the summer and winter clothes exchange. It just so happened that our flooring project (and therefore cleaning project) has taken place at just the right time for the switch. Twice a year I make the same conclusion. I have too much crap. God was laughing when he created a pack rat sentimental fool who despises clutter. I'm constantly at battle with myself as I do my best to decipher what shall stay and what shall be donated or thrown away. A glimpse into my internal dialogue...

Oh, I forgot I had that shirt. How long have I had this? How long since I wore it last? It's been a while.... But what if I wake up one day and want to wear this shirt? Keep pile.

Ooh, that's dusty.

Why did I keep a purse with a broken strap?

Now these are nice boots. A little outdated, but I know I spent $70 on these puppies. Hmm, but that was when I was in high school. I've had these boots for 11 years. I haven't worn them in 5. They are pretty dusty. Ok, fine! Donation pile.

Oh, this is the box that my necklace came in that we bought in Grand Cayman! Do I really need the box? No, but it has the name of the business on it. What if I want to remember the name someday and this box was the only thing I had with the name on it? (The website is http://islandglassblowing.com/) Ok, now I can get rid of the box.

Where is the proper place to store a snorkel and mask? Fins?

Wow, I forgot I had so many hats. I have a lot of hats for a girl who rarely/never wears hats.

I have a lot of belts for a girl who rarely/never wears belts.

How many months until I have to do this again?

::big sneeze!::

People in Hawaii never have to do this. Hawaii sounds nice.


Cleaning your closet is one of those things that always gets worse before it gets better. It's also a commitment. If you stop halfway through then let's hope you left a path to get to your bed. Either that or you better have one heck of a long jump to clear it all.

If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the signifigace of a clean desk?
~Laurence J. Peter

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I feel your pain. Moving around a lot these past few years really has taught me clutter control. Especially when we left LA and I had to get rid of really sentimental things (Like my desk...I loved that desk). We purged so much stuff that even today I will think that I still have something, but its not there. Mainly kitchenware (like salt and pepper shakers). I have a plastic bin full of the stuff I could not part with like art projects from grade school and birthday cards, notes from 7th grade from you and Laurie, and architecture stuff that I think I will need one day, but its all crumpled up now, I should just get rid of it.

More than clutter though, I hate dirty. Yes, I used dirty as a noun. But it includes dishes, clothes, floors, dog, and any surface that collects dust. Yuck. My apartment is in serious need of a "spring" cleaning. Spring will just have to show up first.

Mrs Sea Monster said...

LOL. I love your comments. When DH leaves for endless TDYs in May I'll be cleaning and de-cluttering the house. After moving twice in our first two years of marriage, I'm starting to learn how to throw stuff out. Of course now it's more like, "do I really want to potentially move this to the other side of the world?" (or even the other side of the country?) There are a few things that whenever I look at them I think, "Yeah, that is SO not moving with me!" It's hard at first to let go, but then once you do it's liberating! :) ~Jackie